Thursday, April 14, 2011

Update on "semantics"

Conor's baseball commitments are not as great this year.  He is a baseball "14" which is an in between year for Legion ball.  His Legion prep team of last year has reformed as an AAU team, which requires far less of a commitment.  He also does inhouse, but at his age, his inhouse team may only have a couple of practices for the entire year and most of the kids will only show up to 60% to 80% of the games.  So baseball-wise, this is FAR less of a commitment than has been required of him in the past.

So last week, he tells me that he wants to start going to wrestling practice with his older brother. 
He likes freestyle and probably wants to compete in some events this spring.  Wow, this is a first for him and I have never in the past pushed him to compete in the spring too much, knowing his commitment level to baseball and the fact that at the end of each wrestling season, he was pretty much done with the sport.

Maybe I'm on to something with this letting the kids make their own decisions about the how they want the athletic careers to proceed.  It seems to be working even though obviously I, as their older, wiser father, know better than they do (for those of you who are unfamiliar with sarcasm, see this last sentence).  I'm beginning to think that the older I get, the more I see that I don't know much about anything.  But I know a little about a lot of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment