Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Triumphant (?) Return

Cale got back on the mat this weekend.  Big weekend for me, I spend a lot of time with Conor's wrestling career because of his success and sometimes I think that Cale feels a little slighted.  Cale has given up other sports to concentrate on wrestling (another topic altogether), Conor still plays football and baseball, both of which I coach him in.  Conor goes on a lot of out of state trips for wrestling, Cale doesn't attend them much.  Cale can still knock the stuffing out of his younger brother on the mat (he thinks, I think, maybe...) but Con gets all the attention.  Yada, yada, yada...it's complicated.  I'm looking forward to seeing him get back to action this weekend and spending some time with him, sans Conor.



We're up early and heading up to the Lehigh Valley.  Cale is heading up with two accomplished wrestling fans, one of whom's father I went to high school with.  He comes along with us and I get a chance to get reacquainted with an old friend.  The kids weigh in and Greco is still going on, so we have a couple of hours.  Off to one of my favorite joints, Mikey's Hot Dogs, for a great burger and perogies - I know the sign says "Hot Dogs," but you can get great hot dogs all over the Valley.  Morning is going great, until...

Call comes in from the "soon-to-be" ex.  Those of you who are in this situation know roughly what comes next.  Our house which has been on the market for over a year is going to be shown.  She lives there with two dogs and can't get the dogs out of the house.  If I don't get there to take out the dogs, she's cancelling the showing.  The house has got to get sold, I can't handle the mortgage and my rent much longer - I gotta go.

So I miss Cale's return to the mat - thanks, "honey," ha.  As I posted before, it's going to be tough sledding for him at this tournament anyway, so maybe it's a little pressure off him.  I call in for a report and he has had an early exit.  A 2-0, 3-1 loss to a regional qualifier, and a loss by fall to someone I've never heard of.  Got headlocked, fought a while and tried to roll through.  First time wrestling freestyle, so now he knows what a "touch fall" is.  Good experience.  Sorry I missed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment